Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Back to Intag, this time for a month

Alright, I am in Intag and currently loving the change of pace from city life in Quito. I was a bit hesitant and nervous about spending a month in Intag, mostly because it can feel pretty isolated at times. But now that I am with my homestay family- mother, father, and 12 year-old brother (he is the youngest of four kids, the other 3 moved out, and reminds me a lot of alec. he loves to bother the dogs and its apparent he is pretty good at filling time by himself)- and living in a beautiful house right next to the river, I think it should be a good month. The food here is delicious and super fresh and I also have two friends Andy and Susanna living about a 30 minute walk down the road—trust me, that’s short for distances in Intag.

I arrived on Sunday and after meeting with my advisor I met my homestay father and hitched a ride in the back of a pick-up to the house. On Monday I got started right away on my project by taking a trip out to La Reserva Neblina Norte, a reserve recently bought by a local NGO Decoin. Andy and Susanna joined me and two men who are part of a group focusing in conservation led us through the forest. The trail started at the top of this huge mountain which was pretty steep heading down and only meant we would have to head back up a similar trail at the end. It was really beautiful but pretty exhausting and I slept well that night.

So the verdict is so far so good. I know I have a lot of work to do this month but I think it should be pretty fun as well, so I guess we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment